Blog

The Validity of All Paths

The choices we make in life are oftentimes very complex and have far reaching ripples into our future and the lives of those around us. I for one am one of those "must take the hard road" types and in my arrogance have long considered that to be the "right" path.

I have believed that there is no better way to live than in the pursuit of truth and your highest self and living in integrity and love. I have rarely met people who felt the same and I have felt desperately alone in life because of it.

Now, for me, that is my best path. I know to live my life with truth, I have to take the spiritual path to enlightenment, but I'm having more clarity lately on paths and the validity of simply being wherever it is you are and that's what I want to write about now.

One of the things I struggle with greatly is watching the people around me make what I consider to be bad life choices. Choices that seem to keep them trapped in the same endless circle of pain and loss. With my psychic gifts, I have an intuitive way of being able to see where people are making choices that keep them stuck and though I will share with someone my fear for them if they continue down a particular path, they ultimately continue on, sure they can handle whatever comes their way and that I am either wrong, or off in something I've said because surely it can't be as dire as all that.

It's long been my struggle to watch the people I love as they go down these paths, watch the pain they suffer, but also to be able
to still see how it should have been. It's like watching a Star Trek Episode with alternating time lines. There is always one timeline that seems clearly the best choice. The one that brings the most happiness and peace to all involved. Well that's the path I'm always trying to push people down and I get so frustrated because I can see how beautiful life would be for them down that path, but they inevitably always choose something else.

My attitude has always been of great sadness, because, again, in my arrogance, I determined any other path than the one of peace and harmony to be "wrong". I am learning however of the validity of ALL paths.

I think so many of us struggle with this. We want our loved ones to live their lives in certain ways. Perhaps we feel there is only one right religion or only one right way for a marriage to be legitimate. Even though what we express, we may be expressing out of concern for those we love, whenever we invalidate a person's life choice, we ourselves step out of love.

Pride in our race, culture or country carried too far becomes this kind of thinking as well. Our society is forever trying to tell us what to buy, eat and think. We have a media machine that will show you what path you should walk, the one that makes you fit in with everyone else because you don't want to be left out, right?

For me, this becomes a personal struggle when I watch someone take a path of much pain and as that pain begins to come to fruition I feel such frustration and impotence to do anything. What I'm trying to do now though, is let go of the path not chosen. Would they have been happier ultimately had they gone down path A? I believe they would have, so I will always feel that sadness of what they have missed, but I think the point here is not what path they walk, but how they are walking it.

Any path you choose, if you walk it with integrity and the intention of love and enlightenment, then you will find moments of great lessons and opportunities to bring love to the world. You will find you learn and become more, even if that is through much pain.

I have taken these alternate paths before myself and though a few I deeply regret, for the most part, I try to simply focus on what I was taught and who I became down that road.

Wherever you are in life, is a valid place for you to be in. We are all at different levels of development, spiritual, intellectually and emotionally. There are times that no matter how badly we may want to walk a higher path, we simply aren't ready to be there. We should embrace our journey and not focus so hard on right and wrong, good and bad. Life is really very fluid and god is really very forgiving. His plan for goodness cannot be altered no matter the choices we make. There is grace. The world will rise up to meet us where we're at and though through our choices we may bring much pain into our lives and even those around us at times, in the end, we must have faith in god's exquisite ability to bring light from the darkness, peace from our pain and healing to our deepest wounds. Because in the end, no matter which road is chosen, love will win out, of that I have no doubt.

So as I go forward in my own life, I intend to lighten up about what path a person has chosen. Who they want to love, where they want to live or work, none of it truly matters. Yes, I always wish to save those I love from pain, but in the end, I need to watch their intentions more then their actual path. Every path is valid, every path has purpose and I will practice more grace for the choices made around me, offering love and support without judgment or condemnation. Because if they walk in love, then even in the pain, there is purpose, for it is often the pain that is our greatest teachers. 




No comments: